Free Consultation
(323) 300-4184

Mon – Fri: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm PST

Free Consultation

Steve Perry Sues to Stop Release of Unreleased Songs in Music Mondays

Ex-Journey singer Steve Perry has filed a lawsuit against his former associate Phil Brown to prevent the release of music they recorded together in 1991. According to legal documents obtained by The Blast, Perry claims that the songs were mere demos they recorded on an 8-track tape recorder in Brown’s garage and were never meant for to be heard by the public.

Private“He did not perform them as he would if the recordings were intended for public release,” the complaint says. “[Brown is] threatening to release certain old vocal performances of Perry as part of Brown’s band’s release, even though Perry owns all intellectual property rights in said vocal performances, Brown abandoned any claim to those performances in 2002, and Perry has repeatedly demanded that Brown not release those works.”

“This pre-emptive measure was necessary in order to maintain and protect Steve Perry’s rights and intellectual property as an artist,” Perry’s rep tells Rolling Stone. “Steve is vigilant in protecting his rights.” Brown did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

– Excerpt from an article written by Andy Greene for Rolling Stone. Find the full article here


Disclaimer: Please note that the information contained within this news post and site is offered simply as a consideration to visitors who are in the entertainment industry and are seeking to learn more about various areas of entertainment, be it in film, movies, television, music, digital, new media, film financing, merchandising and/or branding. As such, the information so provided should never be construed as legal advice. If you need further assistance or legal advice for your specific matter, please do not hesitate in contacting an entertainment attorney (film, music, digital, licensing, financing) here in Los Angeles, California at The Hollywood Lawyer by(1) emailing us at; (2) calling us at (323) 300-4184; or (3) filling out our online form

Related Posts

Free Consultation