Free Consultation
(323) 300-4184

Mon – Fri: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm PST

Free Consultation

As a member of the Chicago Federation of Musicians, Colin Welford paid $100,000 in union dues. When he was under disciplinary actions at work, he expected the Union to represent him, but they never did, not during the investigation and not through his eventual termination. Since July 2019, Welford has been on unpaid leave from the show and he is demanding back pay for the year.

Colin Welford was working as the musical director of “Hamilton” in Chicago when something happened that led to his eventual firing from the production. Colin is suing over breach of contract and violation of Illinois wage payment act. He claims that “he was unjustly fired by the show’s producers after the Chicago Federation of Musicians allegedly abandoned him during an investigation into alleged wrongdoing.”

The Union disagreed with Welford and found that they were not required to represent him, stating, “believed it was not required to act on Mr. Welford’sWelford’s behalf as it related to his employment at the Hamilton workplace in Chicago …” the lawsuit states. Their piece-of-advice to the music director was to “simply submit to Hamilton Producers”.” Welford found his legal counsel after the Union failed to protect him.


– Excerpt from an article for Chicago SunTimes by by  Find the full article here


Disclaimer: Please note that the information contained within this news post and site is offered simply as a consideration to visitors who are in the entertainment industry and are seeking to learn more about various areas of entertainment, be it in film, movies, television, music, digital, new media, film financing, merchandising and/or branding. As such, the information so provided should never be construed as legal advice. If you need further assistance or legal advice for your specific matter, please do not hesitate in contacting an entertainment attorney (film, music, digital, licensing, financing) here in Los Angeles, California at The Hollywood Lawyer by(1) emailing us at; (2) calling us at (323) 300-4184; or (3) filling out our online form

Related Posts

Free Consultation